Fuller Laboratories, 235
Professor Eltabakh’s research is in the broad area of Database Management Systems and Information Management. In particular, his work is in the areas of query processing and optimization, indexing techniques, scientific data management, and large-scale data analytics. Prof. Eltabakh is currently exploring possible extensions to both database management systems and Hadoop framework to support scientific applications and health-care systems. He is a member of the Database Systems Research Group (DSRG) and a faculty member of the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BCB) program.
At the undergraduate level, Professor Eltabakh teaches fundamental database courses, algorithms, data structures, and others. He is keen in extending his research and integrating it with the IQP and MQP undergraduate projects. At the graduate level, Professor Eltabakh teaches advanced topics in database systems, distributed databases, and Hadoop infrastructure.
- Database Systems
- Large-Scale Analytics
- Scientific Data Management
- Query Processing and Indexing
- Cloud Computing
- B.S. in Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt, May 1999
- M.S. in Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt, May 2001
- M.S. in Computer Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, Summer 2005
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, May 2010
- Mohamed Y. Eltabakh, Yuanyuan Tian, Fatma Ozcan, Rainer Gemulla, Aljoscha Krettek, John McPherson, “CoHadoop: Flexible Data Placement and Its Exploitation in Hadoop”. PVLDB 2011 4(9): pp. 575-585.
- Kevin S. Beyer, Vuk Ercegovac, Rainer Gemulla, Andrey Balmin, Mohamed Y. Eltabakh, Carl-Christian Kanne, Fatma Özcan, Eugene J. Shekita, “Jaql: A Scripting Language for Large Scale Semi-structured Data Analysis”. PVLDB 2011 4(12): pp. 1272-1283.
- Mohamed Y. Eltabakh, Walid G. Aref, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Yasin Silva, Mourad Ouzzani, “Supporting Real-world Activities in Database Management Systems”, Short paper in the International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE) 2010, Los Angeles, CA, pp 808-811.
- Mohamed Y. Eltabakh, Walid G. Aref, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Mourad Ouzzani, Yasin Silva “Supporting Annotations on Relations”, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT) 2009, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, pp. 379-390.