Project Center, 2nd Floor
Richard F. Vaz
- Director, Center for Project-Based Learning
- Associate Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Affiliated with:
- Director, Bangkok Project Center
As Director of WPI’s Center for Project-Based Learning, I work with colleagues across campus to help advance project-based learning at colleges and universities around the nation and the globe. We also support project-based learning here on the WPI campus. Most of my scholarly and professional activity centers around experiential and international education. Through my involvement in organizations such as the Association of American Colleges and Universities and the American Society for Engineering Education, I work to promote WPI’s approach to undergraduate education as a national model.
I received my PhD in electrical engineering from WPI, focusing on signal analysis and machine vision. I held systems and design engineering positions with the Raytheon Company, GenRad Inc., and the MITRE Corporation before joining the WPI Electrical and Computer Engineering faculty in 1987. While I greatly enjoyed my work as an engineering faculty member, over time my interests in interdisciplinary teaching and learning and international education resulted in increasing involvement in WPI’s student project programs, both on campus and elsewhere. I served as Dean of Interdisciplinary and Global Studies for ten years, and have advised hundreds of undergraduate research projects in Australia, England, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Namibia, the Netherlands, Thailand, and the United States.
- Internationalization of Technological Education
- Technology/Society Studies
- Curricular Reform
- Sustainability and Appropriate Design
- BS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1979
- MS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1984
- PhD, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1987
- Vaz, Richard. "Designing the Liberally Educated Engineer," Peer Review, AAC&U, Spring 2012.
- Vaz, Richard. "Do Global Experiences Facilitate Interdisciplinary Learning?," Proceedings of the MSU Conference on Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning, Michigan State University, May 2012.
- Vaz, Richard, and Chrysanthe Demetry. "Recruitment, Mentoring, and Development of STEM Faculty to Lead International Programs," Proceedings of the 40th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, October 2010.
- Demetry, Chrysanthe, and Richard Vaz. "Evaluation of Intercultural Learning in an Education Abroad Program for STEM Undergraduates," Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exhibition, June 2010
- Vaz, Richard. "Scalable and Sustainable Programs for Internationalizing US Engineering Education: Are They Achievable?" Proceedings of the ASEE Global Colloquium on Engineering Education, Cape Town, South Africa, October 2008.
- Eta Kappa Nu Outstanding EE Professor Award, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2006
- Senior Fellow, Association of American Colleges & Universities, 2004
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Faculty Appreciation Award, 2001 and 2003
- Eta Kappa Nu Award for Outstanding Contributions to the ECE Department, 2000
- Winner of more than 20 awards for outstanding student project advising