Washburn Shops, 101
Steven S. Taylor
- Associate Professor, School of Business
My research is focused in two areas: Organizational aesthetics takes seriously the idea that management is as much an art as it is a science, and applies art-based scholarship and practice to management and organizations. Reflective practice is the ability to analyze our own actions and learn from that how to be more effective, ethical, and artful as managers and leaders. At the heart of my work as a researcher and teacher is my own practice as a playwright. My plays have been performed in England, France, Poland, Canada, New Zealand, Italy, and the USA. From my work in the theater I have come to realize that learning is a whole body sport and this belief informs both my research and teaching.
- Organizational Aesthetics
- Reflective Practice
- First Person Research
- Beautiful Action
- Authentic Leadership
- The Craft and Art of Management
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: B.S. in Humanities 1982
- Emerson College: M.A. in Performing Arts 1993
- Boston College: Ph.D. in Management, Organizational Studies 2000
- Taylor, S. S. 2010. Negative judgments: Reflections on teaching reflective practice, Organization Management Journal. Vol. 7 pp. 5-12
- Ladkin, D & Taylor, S. S. 2010. Enacting the 'true self': Towards a theory of embodied authentic leadership, Leadership Quarterly. Vol. 21 pp 64-74
- Taylor, S. S. & Ladkin, D. 2009. Understanding arts-based methods in managerial development, Academy of Management Learning and Education. Vol. 8(1) pp. 55-69
- Taylor, S. S., Rudolph J. W., & Foldy, E. G. 2008. Teaching reflective practice: Key stages, concepts and practices. in P. Reason & H. Bradbury (Eds.), Handbook of Action Research: Participative Inquiry and Practice, Thousand Oaks: Sage, pp. 656-668
- Taylor, S. S. & Hanson, H. 2005. Finding Form: Looking at the field of Organizational Aesthetics. Journal of Management Studies. Vol. 42(6) pp 1211-32
- Researcher in Residence at the Banff Centre; Banff, Alberta, Canada, 2008.
- Best Paper, 2005, Organization & Management Theory Division, Academy of Management for Elmes, M. B. & Taylor, S. S. 2005. From Chaos to Tempered Radicalism: The Form and Content of Organizational Resistance.
- Leadership Arts Playwright in Residence at the Banff Centre; Banff, Alberta, Canada; June 2004