Civil and Environmental Engineering
Kaven Hall, 209B
- Assistant Teaching Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering
Professor Berardi’s research focuses on applied physics to buildings, with focus on acoustics (both architectural and building acoustics) and sustainability (green buildings). He earned a PhD in building engineering and architecture at the Politecnico di Bari, where his thesis focused on applied environmental physics. He received an MS in sound and vibration from the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research of the University of Southampton (UK) with a thesis on smart materials.
Professor Berardi had research experiences in the architecture faculty of Valencia and was a visiting researcher at the building energy and environmental systems laboratory at Syracuse University and at the International Centre for Integrated assessment and Sustainable Development of the University of Maastricht (NL). He attended more than 20 high-level schools, including the Sustainability Academy at the University of London-Western Ontario, Canada, and the Sustainable Strategies and Operations at Columbia University.
He is collaborating with the UNEP-SBCI (sustainable building initiative of the UNEP), for which he is writing The State of Play Report of Green Buildings in Italy. He won several national and international awards, including the International Commission for Acoustics Grant in 2011, the Italo Barducci Prize from the Italian Association of Acoustics (AIA) in 2011, the Young Scientist Grant of the International Institute of Noise Control Engineering (I-INCE) for the invited paper presented at the conference Internoise 2010 (Lisboa-Portugal), and the Andreas Lara prize for the best article by a young researcher at the European Symposium TecniAcustica 2008, issued by the Spanish Society of Acoustics SEA.
Professor Berardi has published over 15 works on peer review journals and 13 papers in conference proceedings. He also earned a degree in piano at the School of Music (Conservatorio) U. Giordano in Foggia, with a thesis about harmony and musical temperaments.
- Building Acoustics
- Green Technologies
- MS, Politecnico di Bari, 2008
- MS, University of Southampton, 2009
- PhD, Politecnico di Bari, 2012
- Y. Chen, J. Chen, U. Berardi, HEAT FLOW IMBALANCE AND CONTROL STRATEGIES FOR A LARGE GSHP, Journal of Southeast University, 27(1), 2013.
- U. Berardi, SIMULATION OF ACOUSTICAL PARAMETERS IN RECTANGULAR CHURCHES, Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 6(4), 2013.
- U. Berardi, MODELING AND TESTING OF A DEAP ACTUATOR FOR SEMI-ACTIVE VIBRATION CONTROL, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 27(1), 2013.
- U. Berardi, AN INVESTIGATION OF MEASUREMENT METHODS FOR THE SOUND INSULATION OF BUILDING FAÇADES, Building Acoustics, 19(4), 2012.
- U. Berardi, A DOUBLE SYNTHETIC INDEX TO EVALUATE THE ACOUSTICS OF CHURCHES, Archives of Acoustics, 37(4), 2012.
- Best Paper, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference, March 2013
- International Commission of Acoustics (ICA) Young Scientist, 21st International Congress on Acoustics, Montreal, June 2013
- Premio "Italo Barducci", Associazione Italiana di Acustica (AIA), Rimini, June 2011
- Nomine "Young Scientist" of the International Institute of Noise Control Engineering (I-INCE), Lisboa, June 2010
- Best Paper "Andreas Lara" Sociedad Espanola de Acustica (SEA), Symposium Europeo di Acustica TecniAcustica, Madrid, October 2008