Atwater Kent Laboratories, 309
William R. Michalson
I joined the faculty of the ECE Department in 1991 after leaving Raytheon Company, where I spent approximately 12 years involved with the development of embedded computers for guidance, communications, and data processing systems for spaceborne and terrestrial applications. At WPI I perform research and teach in the areas of navigation, communications, and computer system design. I supervise the WPI Center for Advanced Integrated Radio Navigation (CAIRN), where I am developing a Public Safety Integration Center focused on the integration of communications, navigation, and information technologies for public safety applications. My research focuses on the development, testing, and evaluation of systems for both civilian and military applications with a special emphasis on techniques focused on indoor, underground, or otherwise GPS-deprived situations. My interests in communication, navigation, and computing have led me to play an active role in the development of the Robotics Program at WPI, where I teach robotics courses at the graduate and undergraduate level.
- global positioning systems performance prediction in distributed
- multiprocessor systems
- performance optimization of highly parallel computer systems
- BS, Syracuse University, 1981
- MS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1985
- PhD, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1989
- T. Padir, W.R. Michalson, et. al., “Implementation of an Undergraduate Robotics Engineering Curriculum,” Computers in Education Journal, vol. I, no. 3, pp. 92-101, 2010.
- W. R. Michalson, A. Navalekar and H. Parikh, “Error mechanisms in indoor positioning systems without support from GNSS,” The Journal of Navigation, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 239-49, 2009.
- H.K. Parikh and W. R. Michalson, “Impulse Radio - UWB or Multicarrier UWB for Non-GPS based Indoor Precise Positioning Systems,” NAVIGATION J. Inst. Nav., Vol. 55, no. 1, 2008.
- G. Fischer, W. R. Michalson, T. Padir and G. Pollice,” Development of a Laboratory Kit for Robotics Engineering Education” to appear, AAAI 2010 Spring Symposium on Educational Robotics and Beyond: Design and Evaluation, Mar. 22-24, Palo Alto, CA, 2010.
- W.R. Michalson, and F. J. Looft, “Designing Robotic Systems: Preparation for an Interdisciplinary Capstone Experience,” to appear, American Society of Engineering Educators 2010 Annual Conference, Louisville, KY, Jun 20-23, 2010.
Labs and Centers
- 1985: Aldo Miccioli Scholar.
- 1994: Joseph S. Satin Distinguished Fellow in Electrical Engineering.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Institute of Navigation
- Association for Computing Machinery