Atwater Kent Laboratories, 020
- Assistant Teaching Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
After receiving my PhD in Electrical Engineering from WPI in 2002, I have remained at WPI as a Research Assistant Professor and Adjunct Instructor. I still actively conduct research in the area of my PhD thesis topic, radiofrequency coils for magnetic resonance imaging. The most recent proposal in this area is a dual-modality microwave tomography and MRI breast coil that provides complementary information for breast cancer detection. Other MRI projects include a resonant gradient coil for imaging sound waves in tissues, multi-channel breast coils, dual-tuned head coils, and dual-coil transmit-receive animal systems. Besides MRI, I conduct research on unconventional nondestructive testing methods for industry. One successful ongoing project involves imaging the electrical conductivity in diamond cutters used for rock drilling. Measurements are taken by contacting the surface of the sample with multiple spring-loaded pins, injecting current and recording voltages. Conductivity image reconstruction is a nonlinear, computationally intensive inverse problem.
- medical imaging (magnetic resonance imaging)
- industrial nondestructive testing
- radiofrequency and microwave circuits
- numerical methods for partial differential equations
- nonlinear numerical optimization and parameter estimation
- BS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1997
- MS, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 1999
- PhD, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2002
- G. Bogdanov, R. Ludwig, J. Wiggins and K. Bertagnolli, “Non-destructive testing of polycrystalline diamond cutters using dc electrical conductivity imaging,” Meas. Sci. Technol. 20 (2009) 095707 (10pp).
- R. Ludwig, G. Bogdanov. “RF Circuit Design: Theory and Applications.” Second edition. ISBN-13: 9780131471375. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2008.
- G. Bogdanov, N. Shashishekhar, R. Ludwig, “A Rapid and High Resolution Digital X-ray Wheel Testing System,” Materials Evaluation, v. 65, no. 8, pp. 827-832, 2007.
- G. Bogdanov, R. Ludwig. “Analysis of high-field MRI RF coils using the method of lines.” Concepts Magn Reson Part B (Magn Reson Engineering) 2003; 16B: 22-37.
- G. Bogdanov, R. Ludwig. “Coupled microstrip line transverse electromagnetic resonator model for high-field magnetic resonance imaging.” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, v. 47, pp. 579-593, March 2002.
Labs and Centers
Member, IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
Co-Author: RF Circuit Design: Theory and Applications, 2/e