Civil and Environmental Engineering
Kaven Hall, 209D
- Assistant Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering
I joined the faculty at WPI in 2010. I served as a postdoctoral researcher in the department of Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M University from 2007 to 2010. Presently, I am also president, CEO, and chief scientist at Advanced Structural Control & Monitoring. I have authored more than 45 research and scientific publications in various fields of civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering. I am an author or coauthor of six book/book chapters. At Texas A&M University, I taught Statics, Dynamics, and Mechanics of Materials. At WPI, I teach Introduction to Structural Analysis and Design, Structural Dynamics, Smart Structures, and Structural Heath Monitoring.
In my research, I seek to overcome some of the challenges that have stood in the way of using smart control devices like magnetorheological (MR) dampers within a large structure—including the nonlinear coupling of the structure and the smart dampers. I am addressing this challenge by exploring the following:
- Bio-inspired adaptive controls for hazard mitigation of large-scale civil structures
- Multi-input multi output (MIMO) nonlinear controls
- MIMO nonlinear system identification
- Structural heath monitoring
- Sensor/Actuator fault diagnosis systems
- High-impact force attenuation using smart control technology
- Analysis and design of concrete systems under fire following high-impact loads
I am an associate editor for the IEEE Control Systems Society Conference Management System (The IEEE American Control Conference, The IEEE Conference on Decision and Control). I am also a paper reviewer for the Journal of Automatica, Advances in Structural Engineering, and the Journal of Smart Structures and Systems, Journal of The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, Journal of Engineering Structures, Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Journal of Experimental Techniques, Journal of Advances in Structural Engineering, Journal of Automatica, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, International Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, American Control Conference, IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Journal of Civil and Architect, IGI Global Publisher Inc., and Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers.
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Structural Vibration Mitigation
- Structural System Identification
- Impact Force Attenuation
- BE, Architectural Engineering, Kwandong University, 2000
- MS, Structural Engineering, Yonsei University, 2002
- PhD, Structural Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2007
- Postdoc, Control Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2010
- Y. Kim, C. Kim, and R. Langari. “Novel Bio-inspired Smart Control for Hazard Mitigation of Civil Structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, 19, 2010, doi: 10.1088/0964-1726/19/11/115009.
- Y. Kim, R. Langari, and S. Hurlebaus. “Semiactive Nonlinear Control of a Building Structure Equipped with a Magnetorheological Damper System,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 23, 300-315, 2009.
- Y. Kim, R. Langari, and S. Hurlebaus. “MIMO Fuzzy Identification of Building-MR Damper Systems,” International Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems, 22, 1-21, 2011.
- R. Sharifi, Y. Kim, and R. Langari. “Sensor Fault Isolation and Detection of Smart Structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, 19, 2010, doi: 10.1088/0964-1726/19/10/105001.
- Y. Kim, S. Hurlebaus, and R. Langari. “Fuzzy Control of Large Civil Structures Subjected to Natural Hazards,” Recent Advances in Intelligent Control Systems, Wen Yu (ed.), Springer, London, 3-20, 2009.