This section contains information on some of the research methods that students can use in their IQPs.General tips,ideas for writing research method chapters can also be found in Tips for Writing an IQP Proposal (Word Document) or (pdf). Students should be encouraged to think about how their research methods (e.g., data gathering and data sources) are linked to research objectives and research questions with exercises too (e.g., project objectives exercise (Word Document) or (pdf) ).
To help students think about what data they need to gather and from where the data can be found, exercises are useful. For example, students can be asked to complete an information needs planning matrix (Word Document) or (pdf).
For Qualitative Research Methods see:
- Interviewing of liason or sponsor (Word Document) or (pdf)
- Focus Groups (Word Document) or (pdf) are used effectively by students in many IQPs.
For Statistical Methods:
- Many WPI students should have ready access to statistics courses and books
- Students must address a variety of methodological issues in their research. An important issue is often Sampling and Error (Word Document) or (pdf). Internal and external validity are also issues that students often need help addressing
- Specific questions can be directed to: Prof. Joseph Petruccelli (firstname.lastname@example.org) in WPI's Mathematical Sciences Department or Prof. Jeanine Skorinko (email@example.com) in the Social Sciences and Policy Studies Department.
Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: December 03, 2013 10:12:19