Interactive Media & Game Development
Pandora: Purge of Pride
Adaptive Enemy-Based Gameplay
Interactive media and gaming provide a wildly popular source of entertainment.
WPI is home to one of the earliest and top-ranked academic programs in this field. Our Interactive Media & Game Development (IMGD) majors receive a base education in both the artistic and technical aspects of interactive media, underscoring the importance of blending art with technology, and the close working relationships required between artists and programmers.
Merging Art with Technology
Our goal at WPI is to create leading-edge technical artists and creative programmers. To that end, students jump right in and spend their time focusing on hands-on projects and collaborations—creating games, interactive fiction, virtual environments, art installations, and collaborative performances, or inventing entirely new forms of media.
- Telegram & Gazette Interviews Professor Keith Zizza for Sunday Sit-down A one-on-one with Professor Keith Zizza plus a fun explanation of how sound effects are made for games. >
- Professor Jennifer DeWinter to Present at the Southwest American Cultural Association Jennifer DeWinter presents Regulating Rape: The Case of RapeLay, Domestic Markets, Third Party Distribution, and International Outrage >
- Professor Keith Zizza Featured on GoLocalworcester.com Professor Keith Zizza voices the Incredible Hulk in Marvel Puzzle Quest mobile game. >
- Kapow! Boom! Splat! WPI's Keith Zizza creates sound effects for Marvel Puzzle Quest's latest game app. >
- Professor Britt Snyder Featured in Telegram Article
- 3D Models by IMGD Instructor Ralph Sutter are Featured in New Book by Michael McCarthy
- IMGD Professor Keith Zizza was Audio Lead for Marvel Puzzle Quest
- PC Gamer Features WPI in Top Game Development Schools PC Gamer magazine reports on Princeton Review's ranking of game development schools and lists WPI first in the feature. >
- Professor Brian Moriarty Appointed as a Curator for Boston FIG The Boston Festival of Indie Games recruits Professor Brian Moriarty to become a curator and pick the showcased games. >
- Professor Lindeman Interviewed for a BBC Show 5 Live, Outriders interviewed professor about wearable visual displays >
- WPI Ranked #16 for Animation and Game Design by AnimationCareerReview.com
- WPI Alumnus, Nevin Flanagan, Releases New Book
- Check Out the MQPs of 2013
- Best MQP Winners 2013
- Showfest on April 26th, 2013
- MQP Project Presentation Day 2013
- WPI Ranks No. 12 on The Princeton Review’s 2013 List of Top Undergraduate Schools to Study Video Game Design The graduate program earns an honorable mention. >
- "Sprouting Phones" by IMGD Professor Joshua Rosenstock Featured in the Art on the Marquee Exhibit
- MQP Lifespan Wins Student Showcase at "Made in MA"
- WPI Named #12 on the Princeton Review's List "Top Undergraduate Schools To Study Video Game Design For 2013"
- IMGD Students and Faculty Highlighted in Telegram & Gazette Article on Serious Games
- Pandora MQP Takes 3rd Place for College Category at the Mass Digi Game Challenge
- Animation Career Review Named WPI #43 for the "2013 Top 100 US Schools for Animation and Game Design"
- WPI professor Jennifer deWinter and Carly Kocurek Publish Editorial about Women in the Gaming Industry
- Professor deWinter to Present Paper at the Southwest Popular Culture Association
- Graduate Students to Present at the Southwest Popular Association
- George Phillies Releases New Wargame Tactics Book
- WPI to Host Digital Humanities Symposium The Nov. 2-3 event will bring together digital humanities and arts scholars, students, librarians, and other professionals for shared dialogue around research, pedagogy, and creative practice. >
- Owlchemy Labs’ Newest Game, Jack Lumber, Takes Audio Design Award at the Boston FIG
- WPI’s Interactive Media and Game Development Program Wins Approval in Recent Rankings PC Gamer, OnlineColleges.com, and The Princeton Review laud WPI's innovative programs >
- PC Gamer Magazine Features WPI in Notable Game Schools
- WPI Student, Chris Hanna, Wins Game Design Award at The Boston FIG
- George Phillies releases 2nd editions of his game design textbooks
- OnlineColleges.com Ranks WPI in Top Ten Colleges for Video Gamers
- TouchTomorrow Robots, Rockets, Astronauts and more at WPI TouchTomorrow Event held on Saturday, June 16th, from 10AM to 5PM. Learn more about this exciting event. >