Leadership Academy for Young Women
Grade Level: Girls Entering 8-10
Cost: $975 (includes meals and housing)
*Rolling Admission: Applicants will typically be notified of their acceptance status within 10 business days (2 weeks) of receipt of application and supplemental materials (essay).
Build Confidence and Learn from Women in Leadership
WPI has a strong curriculum component in our MBA program in an area referred to as “aesthetic leadership,” which studies leadership as a performing art. The Leadership Academy is a program that uses this theme to study, understand, demonstrate, practice, and refine leadership qualities.
- Presentation skills are critical for leadership, so the girls are required to develop and deliver compelling presentations with a purpose: a political campaign, a play performance, and a presentation on a prolific woman.
- Good research skills and knowledge of “prior art” are critically important to our future leaders. After a research skills session at our Gordon Library, the girls will use these tools to create a political campaign and run an election, and to learn how strong storylines and creative casting can be implemented for their play performance.
- It is critical for our future leaders to understand how to put their ideas and decisions in context. The political campaign and election lead to the creation of laws. How do these decisions impact the community for example? Do they benefit some and harm others?
- Project Management experience allows our leadership to envision how, when and by whom a task will be accomplished. Equally important, it also allows them to plan for when something goes wrong! The casting for the play performance serves as a metaphor for “choosing the right person for the job.”
Throughout the program, the girls work in teams to achieve goals that have observable outcomes, all while developing their leadership qualities with the guidance of our program director, Professor Helen Vassallo. Click here for Dr. Vassallo’s faculty profile.
The girls will also enjoy additional activities and events in the evenings for a well-rounded WPI experience.
Family and friends are invited to join us for the play performance and poster presentation at the program’s conclusion!
- Completed Leadership Academy 2015 application
- Supplemental essay (to be uploaded after completion of initial online application)
An essay is required as part of our online application: "Please write a one-page essay explaining why you want to attend this program at WPI. Please use .pdf, .doc/.docx, or .txt formats. Your essay must be received before your application to the program can be considered.
Qualified applicants will be admitted on a "rolling" basis. Most applicants will be notified of an acceptance decision within 2 weeks of receipt of their completed application (including essay).
Exploring our World with Engineering Software
What can you build with a computer? How do you turn the design into reality? Will it work?