"While I was busy mentoring the campers, I was also being mentored by the WPI faculty and staff. I had such a great experience as a TA that I came back as a Residential Advisor (RA) during the summer after I graduated from college.”
Camp Reach ‘00, TA ‘04, RA ‘06
Johns Hopkins ’10, BS in Biomedical Engineering
Peace Corps volunteer, Panama
Applications for Teaching Assistants are due April 1, 2015
Volunteer teaching assistants (TAs) assist with workshops and coach the girls as they work on the design projects, act as "big sisters" and role models in the residence hall, escort campers on campus, and participate in recreational activities. Young women who are currently high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors in Massachusetts are eligible to apply.
TAs are required to participate in staff training/orientation, which will take place a week before the program from 8am-5pm—and to participate for the entire two-week program.
You will need recommendations from two people. One must be from a math or science teacher. The other recommendation may come from any other teacher, guidance counselor, or a work supervisor. Choose someone who you think knows you best in the context of what you would be doing as a Reach TA.
Please supply each person with the following:
- A “Letter of Recommendation” form, which you can download below. Be sure to fill out the top part yourself before giving it to your reference providers.
- “Summer Volunteer Opportunity at WPI for High School Women” (download here) so that they have some information about Camp Reach.
- A stamped envelope with the following mailing address:
WPI Camp Reach
Office of Women’s Programs
100 Institute Rd.
Worcester, MA 01609
Ask each teacher to return the recommendation form by April 1, 2015.
- Complete your part of the application (front and back sides), and have a parent or guardian sign the front of the form after reading this information sheet as well as the one entitled “Summer Volunteer Opportunity at WPI for High School Women.” Mail the application to the same address at WPI by the deadline of April 1, 2015.
Finalists for the TA positions will be asked to come to WPI for a group-format interview on TBD dates. Please check back for those dates. Applicants will be notified about final decisions by mid May. Read about important policies for TAs...
- Description of Application Process (New TAs) (.pdf)
- Application Form (New TAs) (.pdf)
- Recommendation Form (New TAs) (.pdf)
- Information and Application Form (Returning TAs) (.pdf)