G. & C. Merriam
Daniel Merriam and his brother Ebenezer began printing and publishing in West Brookfield in 1797, as E. Merriam and Company. After Daniel's death in 1832, the name was changed to E. and G. (George) Merriam. In 1831, Daniel's sons, George and Charles moved the company to Springfield. The company specialized in school books, Bibles, dictionaries and law books; in 1843 they bought the copyright for Webster's Unabridged Dictionary and the right to publish revisions. The Merriam Company continues today in Springfield. In 1892 the company's name became the G. & C. Merriam Company.