H. Ginn, '00, and William J. Quinn, '00, Arthur L. Cook, '01, and
George G. Bennett, '01.
Zelotes W. Coombs was promoted to assistant professor in 1895, became
professor of French in 1901. Alton L. Smith became assistant professor
in 1900; Joseph 0. Phelon in 1901, following a year of study at
Cornell. Levi L. Conant was elevated to full professor of Mathematics
In the earlier decades there was no office staff. Mr. Coombs, the
first part-time clerk under Dr. Fuller, was succeeded by a
distinguished personage named John K. Marshall. Mr. Marshall was
promoted to the new office of Registrar in 1896, a position which he
administered with considerable dignity, if not popularity, for two
decades. The first librarian appointed was Miss Elizabeth Francis, in
1896. She resigned in favor of marriage in 1900. Miss Mary E. Liscomb,
the second librarian, served for two years, being succeeded for a few
months in 1902 by Miss Cora Smith, then by Miss Emily M. Haynes,
sister of Dr. George H. Haynes, who continued in charge of libraries
beyond the end of this history.
The major changes in curricula during the Mendenhall era were the
expansion and coordination of courses in Civil and Electrical
Engineering. Under the able direction of Professors French and Smith
these departments were elevated to high professional status. After
1895 the work of the first half of the freshman year was made uniform
for students in all departments, but few other noteworthy changes were
made in the general course.
A committee on admission of students was appointed in 1895, and some
changes were made in admission requirements. The Worcester High School
was given the certificate privilege, but for a number of years
thereafter students from other schools were required to take
examinations. Preliminary tests were given in English Grammar and
U. S. History, advanced examinations in Algebra, Plane and Solid
Geometry, French or German, and English.