immediate raising of entrance requirements was impracticable, but that the remodeling of undergraduate courses was essential. The maximum amount of work required of students was to be reduced, time allotted to individual studies to be concentrated, and the schedule for the entire freshman year was to be the same for all departments. Advancing along the lines of this report, the faculty made numerous curriculum changes in the following two years, and thereby developed a course of study so well coordinated that it needed few major revisions for many years. Among the changes, effective in 1904, was the reduction of shop work for mechanical and electrical engineers to provide for a sophomore course in Surveying, an additional course in English, and more time for drawing. The civil engineers were relieved of the Summer woodworking course at the end of the freshman year. In the fall of 1902, this department had inaugurated a survey camp on the Institute propery at Chaffins, spending three weeks on the survey and location of a railroad line. Students and instructors lived in tents, and a mess hall was improvised in the hydraulics laboratory.
firstname.lastname@example.org Last Modified: Fri Jul 30 11:15:25 EDT 1999