My Account FAQ
My account, located in the library catalog, offers self-service and personalization functions for searching and saving records, managing borrowed items, and placing requests for services.
- You will be prompted to log in from several tool bar options in the catalog: My Searches, My List, My Account, and ILLiad.
If you choose to Login at the beginning of your research, you can use the toolbar to move to other account functions, with the exception of ILLiad for Interlibrary Loan requests, without being prompted to retype your username and password.
- From the Quick Start box on the library's home page.
- From within the library catalog search pages.
- From links on the library's Searchable Collections and Borrowing & Ordering pages.
Current WPI students, staff, and faculty may use their WPI username and password to login. Just click on the WPI Faculty, Students, and Staff link at the top of the login page. Non-current and non-WPI users should enter their library barcode number and last name to login. NOTE: Sessions time out after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Click My Account on the toolbar. You will see a list of items you have checked out, fines you owe, blocks on your account, and items for which you have placed holds.
- On the My Account screen, under Charged Items, click the check boxes for the items you want to renew.
- Click Renew Items.
Most items may be renewed up to three times. An exception to this is for faculty who have different loan periods. For more information, please read our policies.
Be sure to check the result screen to see if items were renewed. Some items, such as those that have had a hold placed on them, may not be renewable. Interlibrary Loan items may be renewed only through ILLiad (click on Checked Out Items then transaction number to find Renew Request option.)
Holds permit you to request that a charged item be reserved for your use when it is returned. Once a hold is placed, the person who has the item charged out will not be able to renew it, and you will be notified by email when it is available at the library.
- Once you identify an item in the catalog you would like held, display the record for it, and select Make a Request.
- If prompted, log in to your account.
- Choose Hold Request on the Patron Requests page.
- Return to My Account to see that your hold was properly executed. It will appear under Requests Pending.
My Account provides request forms for several library services. Most request forms are only visible if you choose Make a Request while displaying the catalog record for the specific item involved. The following request forms may be available to you, depending on your borrowing status.
For these requests you must be viewing a specific item's record in the catalog:
- Hold Request to place a hold on an item that is checked out so that you are next in line to borrow it
- Project Report to request retrieval of print projects (IQPs, MQPs) for you to use within the library
- Founders Storage to request retrieval from storage (often available the same day)
- Faculty Course Reserve Request: Only faculty will see this option and may use it to let library staff know s/he would like the item to be place on reserve at the Information Desk for a specific course (for 3 hour in-library use)
- Select My Account and click "Preferences."
- Choose Basic, Advanced, or Reserves as your default search.
- For Basic, choose the default search field. (All Fields is the automatic default; alternatives are Title, Subject, Journal Title, Author, etc.)
- For Reserves, you may set instructor, department, course, etc.
- Be sure to click "Save" at the bottom of the screen.
- Click "Search" to utilize your choice.
My List allows you to create a collection of items retrieved from library catalog searches and save the listing for future use.
- Search the catalog for your topic, and when the results display, select the checkboxes for items that you want to save.
- Click Add to My List.
Once your collection is created, you can print or email the records in a variety of formats, delete selected items as needed, or clear the entire collection and start over. Just select My List from the toolbar to access your saved items.
RefWorks users may save the record(s) in RefWorks format, then import into RefWorks using Import, Import Filter/Data Source: Endeavor Voyager, Database: Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- While viewing search results, click on Save Search at the top of the page to keep that search.
- To view a list of your saved searches, just click My Searches.
- You may re-run, edit, or delete any of your searches.