WPI Math Placement Tests
Welcome to the Mathematical Sciences Department at WPI! We are glad that you have decided to join the class of 2018.
One of the first decisions you must make is your first mathematics class. We have created an on-line “test” to help you review some mathematics, to help you (and us) choose your best first math class, and to identify any gaps in your background that may cause trouble in calculus at WPI. The whole test is run through a system called WeBWorK that allows you to do the test on-line and give you immediate feedback.
A few quick notes before you begin:
1. You will need a WPI computer account and password. To create your WPI computer accounts, use your Student ID and PIN (Personal Identification Number) to login to the Web Information System , click Personal Information, then click the Computer Account Settings link. Follow the directions to choose a username and password. If you have any troubles creating your WPI account, please contact the Helpdesk.
2. If you have trouble logging in, the most common mistake is using capital letters in your username. WPI usernames are all lower-case. If you get past the initial login page but get a message saying you are not enrolled, then email firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your problem.
3. Once you login to the system, you will find two sets of problems.
Take a few minutes to work through the Orientation Test. This is a short intro to WeBWorK that will save you time later.
The Calculus Placement Test has 43 problems, starting with basic algebra and trig and progressing through differentiation, integration, series, parametric curves, and vector algebra. You should work as many of the problems as you can, but if you really don’t know the topic, skip the problem!
4. You can work on the problems in any order. You can quit at any time and your work will be saved. You can pick up where you left off when you return. Also, you can use the “Email Instructor” button in each problem to send a question to WPI.
5. Take the tests seriously and do your best, but keep in mind that these tests are used only to help you pick the best first math class. Your grade will not be recorded and used against you.
6. Be sure that you complete the last problem (#44) to let us know that you have finished your work. When you have completed this problem, you will have the option of seeing your recommendation on-line immediately. Whether you exercise this option or not, our recommendation will be sent to your WPI e-mail address within 48 hours.
7. If you are interested in the theoretical calculus sequence MA 1033 and MA 1034, you should still take the Calculus Placement Test.
If you are ready to get started, go to Math Placement Tests!