The Mechanical Engineering Department is fully accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 415 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21201 Telephone: (410) 347-7700.
The Mechanical Engineering Program seeks to have alumni who:
- are successful professionals because of their mastery of the fundamental engineering sciences, and mechanical engineering and their understanding of the design process.
- are leaders in business and society due to a broad preparation in technology, communication, teamwork, globalization, ethics, business acumen and entrepreneurship.
- will use their understanding of the impact of technology on society for the betterment of humankind.
Graduating students should demonstrate that they attained the following:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice