Additional On-line Resources for Teaching
Connecting with the Current Generation of College Students
- Learning Your Students' Names
- Learning (Your First Job) [DOC] This article is addressed to students and may be most useful to assign for reading and discussion. It also helps instructors gain a better understanding of many students' (often naive or simplistic) notions of learning and may give ideas for how we might help students develop a more realistic sense of what it takes to be a lifelong learner.
- Getting Students to Read: Fourteen Tips [PDF]
- Students' Perceptions of Helpful Faculty Actions Following a Collective Tragedy
- Course Design Tutorial This tutorial is equally helpful to those designing new courses and to those who are revising or refining existing courses.
- How to Plan a Single Class Period
Teaching Large Enrollment Courses
- Preparing to Teach the Large Lecture Course
- Beating the Numbers Game: Effective Teaching in Large Classes
Excellent General Resources on Teaching and Learning
- Tools for Teaching (Barbara Gross Davis, UC Berkeley)
- Teaching Engineering (Wankat and Oreovicz, Purdue University)
- Teaching Science: What Research Tells Us