Options for Self-Evaluation of Teaching
Self-Evaluation Inventory [PDF]
This inventory used at Flinders University in Australia is organized around the Seven Principles of Good Practice in Undergraduate Education [PDF], a synthesis of research on effective teaching and learning.
Teaching Perspectives Inventory
This is a much coarser-grained inventory that fosters reflection on teaching beliefs, intentions, and actions. No evaluative judgements are made. Rather, the instrument helps identify various equally legitimate philosophical viewpoints of good teaching and the extent to which our beliefs, intentions, and actions are consistent. After completing this on-line questionnaire you will receive information about interpreting your teaching perspectives profile. Caveat Emptor: Results from this questionnaire are not compiled unless you provide background information. While confidentiality is assured, some may not be comfortable with this approach.
Teaching Portfolios or Dossiers
- The Step-by-Step Creation of a Teaching Dossier (Dalhousie University)
- The Teaching Portfolio: A Handbook for Faculty, Teaching Assistants and Teaching Fellows [PDF] (Hannelore B. Rodriguez-Farrar, Brown University Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning)
- Preparing a Teaching Portfolio [PDF] (Fran Mues and Mary Deane Sorcinelli, University of Massachusetts Amherst)
- Writing a Teaching Philosophy Statement (Iowa State University)
- Writing a Philosophy of Teaching Statement (Ohio State University)