A New Class of Industrial Robot (Introduction to Baxter)
Wednesday, November 7th, 2012
Abstract and Agenda:
- Overview of Baxter's hardware including sensors and Series Elastic Actuators.
- Our use of ROS for production Robot and development (Robot Operating System).
- Perception which includes vision services.
- UX/UI Development process overview.
- Business Model and keeping Baxter's costs low.
Rethink Robotics was founded in 2008 by robotics pioneer Rodney Brooks. Rod was a co-founder of iRobot © (Nasdaq: IRBT) and held positions there including CTO, Chairman and board member from 1990 through 2011.
From 1984 through 2010, Rod was on the faculty of MIT as the Panasonic Professor of Robotics, and was the director of MIT CSAIL, the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. While at MIT, Rod developed the behavior-based approach to robotics that underlies the robots of both iRobot and Rethink Robotics.
Now, as Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of Rethink Robotics, Rod is devoted to his mission of creating smarter, more adaptable, low-cost robotic solutions that can help manufacturers to improve efficiency, increase productivity and reduce their need for offshoring.
November 7, 2012