Transfer Credit Authorization

Course Credit Transfer

In order to transfer SS courses from other colleges and universities to WPI, you must first obtain and complete the WPI transfer credit authorization form from the Registrar or SSPS department secretary.

  1. Fill out the form completely above the box listing the WPI course equivalent. You must include:
    • the name of the off-campus school
    • the name and number of the course that you wish to take at the off-campus school
    • the term and year of the course that you wish to take at the off-campus school
  2. Obtain a copy of the course syllabus and the name and author of the textbook used. Next, see one of the following professors for approval of the course content, determination of WPI equivalent and transfer grade requirement. If approved, the professor will fill in the WPI equivalent and the grade requirement, and initial the form. Then the professor will bring the form to the department head for his signature. No transfer credit will be granted without the department head's signature. The student will be informed by the Registrar's office when credit transfer has been granted.


  1. Credit transfer authorization should be requested before taking an off-campus course, except in case of courses taken prior to joining WPI.
  2. Courses in economics, psychology, sociology and political science are normally eligible for credit transfer to substitute equivalent courses offered by the department. In exceptional cases another social science course may be accepted as a social science independent study, provided this course is in a social science area recognized by the SSPS department.
  3. Credit may be transferred for a course taken elsewhere when a comparable course is available at WPI only when the course to be transferred is of equivalent breadth, depth and learning outcomes to the WPI course. It is the responsibility of the student to supply adequate documentation, for example, current syllabi, course calendar, textbooks, assignments, learning outcomes and grading policies, etc. for making an assessment.
  4. The minimum grade required for transfer credit authorization of a course taken elsewhere is a B.
  5. Courses of less than 5 weeks duration will not be accepted under any circumstances. Courses taken at a foreign university, or taught in a language other than English, will normally not be accepted unless the level and content of the course and the accreditation status of the university can be verified and accepted by the department. Courses taught at a distance will not be accepted.
  6. Credit may be granted for Advanced Placement Examinations with a grade achievement of 4 or 5 and International Baccalaureate Higher Level (HL) Examinations taken in high schools with a grade achievement of 5, 6, or 7.
  • Email a Friend
  • Bookmark this Page
  • Share this Page