Applying to WPI
When you’ve learned everything you need to know about the graduate programs at WPI and you’re ready to apply, these simple steps will help you submit your application online and follow its status throughout the admissions process.
Applicants to all campus-based graduate degree programs must submit the following:
- Completed online application (this should be the first step in the process)
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary colleges or universities
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Please review our full list of Application Requirements including requirements that may be specific to the academic department to which you plan to apply.
In general, we accept applications year-round, but we strongly recommend students submit their applications by January 1st for fall admission and October 1st for spring admission. International students seeking fall admission are encouraged to apply not later than March 15th and complete their applications not later than May 15th to provide ample time for application review and the visa process. International students should complete their applications by November 1st for spring admission.
The following programs observe strict cut-off dates, as follows:
||Application submitted online
||Application complete-all credentials received
||May 15 for fall
||May 31 for fall, no spring admission
||January 15 for fall
||February 15 for fall, rolling admissions for spring
||March 1 for fall for PhD applicants
||March 31 for fall PhD applicants
|Materials Science & Engineering
||March 1 for fall for PhD applicants
||March 31 for fall for PhD applicants
(except MME program)
|March 31 for fall and October 31 for spring
||April 30 for fall and November 30 for spring
||January 1 for fall and October 2 for spring
||January 31 for fall and October 31 for spring
- You may apply online to our programs:
Where to Send Support Materials
All statements of purpose and letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically through our online application---this will expedite the processing of your application. Paper copies of transcripts, letters of recommendation, or statements of purpose should be sent to:
WPI Graduate Application Processing Center
P. O. Box 840
Randolph, MA 02368-0840
15 Dan Road, Suite 102
Canton, MA 02021
Attn: Donna Morrison, WPI Graduate Application Processing Center
All support materials must be accompanied by the cover sheet you receive via email after you have submitted your application.
Please DO NOT send us bank statements, publications, certificates unrelated to your degree, or other materials not specifically requested. They will not be forwarded to the departmental review committee.
IMPORTANT: If you are an international student and cannot obtain multiple official copies of your academic record, please contact WPI's Office of Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send us unique original copies---all paper documents we receive will be scanned and destroyed.
Your Application Status
- When you submit your application online it will be entered into our database, usually within 3-5 business days. Your support materials will usually be processed five days after they are received.
- Once your application and various support materials, such as transcripts and letters of recommendation, are processed, you will receive notification regarding how to check the status of your application online. You will then be able to view its status anytime you wish.
- The academic department to which you have applied may take six to eight weeks to reach a decision on your admission. As soon as we learn of the department’s decision, the Office of Graduate Admissions will send you an unofficial notification via email, followed by an official notification by mail.
- If you are accepted, your acceptance letter will contain login information for our accepted student’s website, where you will find details about registration, orientation, and life at WPI.