WPI FIRST Scholarships
WPI is a longtime supporter of the FIRST program. FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is a multinational, nonprofit organization that aspires to transform culture, making science, math, engineering, and technology as cool for kids as sports are today. The following scholarships are awarded to FIRST participants only.
WPI Design Innovation Scholarship
Each year, WPI awards a full-tuition, four-year undergraduate scholarship (valued at more than $160,000) to a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Technical Challenge (FTC) team student participant. Each team participating in the FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Technical Challenge may nominate one of its student members for the WPI Design Innovation Scholarship.
In addition to the full-tuition scholarship, WPI offers three $20,000 scholarships ($5,000 per year for four years of undergraduate study) to applicants to the Design Innovation Scholarship who are not selected for the full-tuition award, but whose applications are deemed by the selection committee to be particularly meritorious.
To apply for the FIRST scholarship:
- Candidates should apply to WPI through the standard admissions process no later than February 1, 2013.
- By March 6, 2013, candidates must submit the following additional materials via Slide Room*:
- Letter of nomination from the adult team leader who is nominating the candidate describing his/her demonstrated enthusiasm for engineering and science and offering examples of demonstrated ability and innovation necessary to excel as an engineer or scientist. Note: you will have the opportunity to invite your nominator to submit his/her letter of recommendation via Slide Room.
- Presentation produced by the student that describes one or more of the Design Innovations in his/her team's current year robot as well as one or more of the following:
- The important of teamwork in developing the robot
- How their team demonstrates sportsmanship
- How their team builds spirit
- Presentations should not be longer than five minutes in length. Presentations may be slideshows (PowerPoint, Keynote, Prezi, etc.), video (mov, wmv, flv, mp4), or links to media and should be submitted through Slide Room.
*Slide Room is a a web based service where you can upload your presentation, link to media, and solicit a nomination from an adult team leader. Please be sure to select the FIRST scholarship.
WPI/Paul Allaire Future Engineering Leadership Scholarship
Offered every other year, in recognition of the extraordinary commitment that Paul A. Allaire, WPI Class of 1960, has made to FIRST and to the young people of America, WPI awards a full-tuition, four-year undergraduate scholarship (valued at more than $150,000) to a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Technical Challenge (FTC) team student participant to attend WPI in pursuit of a career in engineering, science, or business. Each team participating in the FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Technical Challenge may nominate one of its student members for the WPI/Paul Allaire Future Engineering Leadership Scholarship during the year the scholarship is being offered. This scholarship is intended to be awarded to a student who is Native American, African American, Latino American, and/or female. The Allaire scholarship is offered in even years. The scholarship will not be offered in 2013, and will be awarded again in 2014 for applicants applying for fall 2014 matriculation.
WPI FRC Regional Competition Scholarships
In celebration of the WPI Regional Competition, WPI offers a $10,000 scholarship ($2,500 per year for four years of undergraduate study) to a high school senior participating in the WPI Regional Competition.
To be eligible, students must be in their senior year of high school, be an active participant on a FRC team competing at the WPI Regional, and be nominated by an adult leader on their team. Each team attending the regional may nominate one student for the WPI Regional scholarship. Those students nominated must be capable of meeting WPI admission standards and must already have applied for admission to WPI. Learn more and apply for the WPI FIRST Regional Competition scholarship.
Additionally, WPI offers a one-time $2,500 scholarship to each member of the Chairman's Award winning team at the WPI (FRC) Regional!
FIRST Scholarship Eligibility
FIRST scholarship candidates must be high school seniors and active FIRST (FRC or FTC) team members. Students nominated by their teams must be capable of meeting WPI admissions standards, have demonstrated enthusiasm for engineering and science, and possess the ability and innovation necessary to excel as an engineer, scientist, or manager. For additional details regarding FIRST Scholarship application requirements and deadlines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.