Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any types of credit that are NOT eligible for transfer?
Vocational, correspondence, pre-college or review courses are not transferrable to WPI.  Also, WPI does not accept non-credit CEU courses, adult enrichment or refresher courses, or CLEP examinations.  No transfer credit is awarded for any online course work.   

With which schools does WPI have formal articulation agreements?
WPI holds formal agreements with Quinsigamond Community College, Bristol Community College and Mass Bay Community College.  For current students, WPI is also affiliated with the members of the Worcester Consortium.

How long will it take to earn my degree at WPI?
The timeline varies for each student depending on the type and amount of coursework each applicant has successfully completed.  WPI does have a minimum residency requirement of two academic years for any student pursuing a degree from the University. 

Can I receive transfer credit for AP or IB credits I earned in high school?
We will evaluate AP and IB testing for credit.  Generally, WPI awards credit for a 4 or 5 on AP exams and for a 6 or 7 on IB exams.  Please have your official score reports forwarded to the Undergraduate Office of Admissions.

What testing does WPI require of transfer applicants?
WPI does NOT require SAT or ACT scores for transfer applicants.  The Admissions Office DOES require either the TOEFL or IELTS for international transfer students.

Are there additional scholarships for transfer students?
WPI offers only the Phi Theta Kappa scholarship to eligible transfer students.  The University does encourage students to apply to scholarship programs not affiliated with WPI and will accept those awarded monies.  WPI does not match scholarships awarded by other colleges or universities.

I was accepted to WPI but chose to attend another school.  If I transfer, will I get the same financial aid/scholarship package?
Unfortunately, no.  Once a student declines acceptance to WPI and reapplies as a transfer student, the student is reevaluated for financial assistance.  Also, scholarship is not available to transfer applicants.

Have a different question?  Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at

  • Email a Friend
  • Bookmark this Page
  • Share this Page