There are many little known facts about WPI, and we want to let you in on some of that information.
- Robert Goddard, the Father of Modern Rocketry, graduated from WPI in 1908.
- The J. Giles Band formed at WPI while the members were students.
- WPI has sent more science and engineering students abroad to project centersthan any other university.
- WPI's newest building, East Hall, has the only living green roof in Worcester.
- The first day of classes ever at WPI was November 11, 1868.
- WPI is the third oldest technological institution in the nation.
- The WPI cheer has 15 mathematical expressions in it.
- The Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau, Alaska, is named in honor of WPI's third president Thomas C. Mendenhall.
- The first woman to receive a bachelor's degree from WPI graduated in 1972.
- The WPI Plan was originated in 1967.
The WPI Cheer
- E to the X; D-Y, D-X
E to the X; D-X
Cosine, Secant, Tangent, Sine; 3.14159
E-I, Radical, Pi; Fight 'em, Fight 'em, WPI!