UTC Engineering Ambassador Program
- Program Goals
- Program Requirements
- Stipends and Internship Opportunities
- Contact Information
The UTC Engineering Ambassador Program is a leadership development program for underrepresented groups in the engineering profession, sponsored by United Technologies Corporation (UTC) and run by WPI.
In this program, undergraduate engineering students complete a specially designed leadership and communications workshop. Through this training, students learn how to effectively communicate technical information to a variety of audiences and engage people in the excitement of engineering - an important skill for any engineer. Engineering Ambassadors are involved with activities related to recruitment, retention, outreach and industry relations for WPI.
WPI is one of four schools to have a UTC Engineering Ambassador Program; Penn State, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the University of Connecticut also have an Engineering Ambassador Program. Once a year, the schools collaborate on a three-day training workshop for all Engineering Ambassadors.
The goals of the Engineering Ambassadors Program are:
- To create a connection with audiences in creative ways and inspire them to see the amazing opportunities and possibilities in the engineering field
- To raise the visibility of engineering as a discipline and as a career option for all, specifically women and underrepresented minorities
- To hone the leadership skills of the Ambassadors and provide opportunities and experiences that will lead to the personal and professional growth of the Ambassadors
- To provide an outreach resource to the WPI community and regional middle schools and high schools
Working in pairs, Ambassadors utilize their training by presenting and making engineering topics accessible to a variety of audiences, including K-12 students, WPI’s prospective students, families, industry partners and the wider community. Learn More…
As a UTC Engineering Ambassador, students receive a quarterly stipend, preference for an internship at UTC, and significant leadership and communications training. In order to be placed for an internship position at United Technologies Corporation, Ambassadors are required to have United States citizenship.
Engineering Ambassadors are required to create professional, innovative and creative presentations, as well as hands-on activities appropriate for the age level of their audience. See a sample presentation now!
For more information about this program, please contact the Office of Corporate Engagement at 508-831-5905. Email inquiries can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.