WPI and the UMass Medical School to Hold Joint Symposium on Orthopedic Tissue Regeneration on April 12
Showcase for Research Initiatives at WPI, UMMS, and Throughout the Region
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE/April 6, 2006
Contact: WPI Media Relations, +1-508-831-5609
Presented by the WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) Bioengineering Institute, the symposium will showcase research initiatives in orthopedic tissue regeneration at WPI, the University of Massachusetts Medical School, and elsewhere in the Northeast. Scheduled to speak are:
- David Kaplan, Tufts University (keynote)
- "Directing Stem Cells Toward Functional Tissue Outcomes"
- Lawrence Bonassar, Cornell University
- "Giving Cells What They Want: Biomaterials as ECM Analogues for Skeletal Tissue Engineering"
- Jie Song, UMMS
- "Biomimetic composites for Bone Tissue Engineering"
- George Pins, WPI
- "Characterizing Cellular Responses to Bioactive Collagen Threads: Applications for Orthopedic Tissue Regeneration"
- Paul Fanning UMMS
- "Mechanotransduction Studies in Articular Cartilage Explants: What we've Learned and Potential Applications to Tissue Engineering Research"
- Helen Lu, Columbia University
- "Interface Tissue Engineering: The Bridge to Functional Tissue Systems"
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
1 to 6 p.m.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Kinnicutt Lecture Hall, Salisbury Labs, Room 115
100 Institute Road
For more information about the symposium and to register for the event, please visit the event Web site.
For further information, contact BEI at email@example.com or 508-831-6800.