Indoor Commencement Information
In the event of inclement weather, WPI's Commencement exercises may be held inside Harrington Auditorium. The ceremony would begin at 11 a.m. The doors would open for ticket holders at 10 a.m. Only guests with tickets would be admitted.
Broadcast Locations for the Indoor Ceremony
The Commencement ceremony would be broadcast to the following indoor viewing locations for the benefit of guests without tickets.
- Higgins Laboratories 116, 154, 202, 218
- Olin Hall 107
- Salisbury Laboratories 104, 105, 115 (Kinnicutt Hall)
- Fuller Laboratories Auditorium (Upper and Lower Perreault Hall)
- Atwater-Kent Laboratories 116 (Newell Hall), 219, 233
- Campus Center Hagglund Room, Mid-Century Room, Chairman's Room, Morgan Room, Taylor Room
Line-up Locations for the Indoor Ceremony
Students: Bachelor degree candidates line up in Alumni Gymnasium, on the main gym floor. Master's degree candidates line up on the lowest level of Harrington Auditorium. Ph.D. degree candidates line up with their sponsor on the first floor of Alumni Gymnasium. Staff in each location would direct students to their assigned rows.
Faculty: Faculty should robe in their offices. They line up on the first floor of Alumni Gym (outside the offices of the Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Athletics).
Trustees and Stage Party: Robing and line-up takes place in the Forkey Conference Room in Harrington Auditorium, behind the bleachers to the left of the main entrance doors.
Visit the line-up information page for more information.
Commencement parking would be available at nearby lots, including Gateway Park. See the Commencement parking map for details. Shuttle buses transport guests between campus and the following parking lots:
- John Wing Road Lot (off of Salisbury Street, adjacent to Higgins House)
- Boynton Street Lot (below Gordon Library)
- Lancaster Street Lot (by Lutheran Church)
- Institute Hall Lot (off of Boynton Street)
- Schussler Road Lot (corner of Schussler and Institute)
- Gateway Park Garage
Guests with Special Parking Needs
If you or your guests are physically challenged, we will use a golf-cart type of vehicle to assist you to a special seating area. Dedicated parking in the Einhorn Lot, Daniels Lot along Institute Road, and West Street Lot have been set aside for handicapped parking. Student ushers will be available to provide guests with assistance from the handicap parking and seating area.
Due to the inclement weather, the reception for candidates, family, and guests would be held immediately following the ceremony inside the Campus Center and Alden Memorial. This will be announced as a part of the closing comments.