Line-Up and Seating
Find Your Lineup Position
The Marching List for 2015 will be posted on the Commencement Ceremony link on Friday, May 15.
We ask that all graduating students look at the Marching List to find your row and location. This marching list is in exact alpha order, so you get YOUR pesonal diploma.
Line-Up Begins Promptly at 9:30 A.M. in Harrington Auditorium
Please be on time! While an hour may seem long, it is a rather short time to do what needs to be done.
Lining up for the Ceremony
Students: Line up will proceed as follows: Ph.D. degree candidates line up in the Rubin Campus Center Odeum (Ph.D candidates should plan to attend the Ph.D. Appreciation Breakfast). Master's and Bachelor degree candidates line up in Harrington Auditorium beginning at 9:30 AM. Staff will direct students to their assigned rows and exact seating order.
Faculty: Faculty will robe in their offices. They will line up on Earle Bridge, where the students will pass by. Faculty will be seated on the stage, and will follow the students in the Processional.
Trustees and Stage Party: Robing and line-up will take place in The Bartlett Center on the main Quad.
Upon Arriving Saturday Morning:
- Pick up a Final Marching List in Harrington Auditorium.
- Find your name and your column (left or right), row (1-XX) and seat (1-20) on the marching list.
- There will be signs with ROW numbers marked on them; find the sign with your row number on it.
- Check in with the line-up coordinator for your row. The coordinator will assist you in finding your exact seating position in line.
- Once you found your proper location, PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE IT!
Taking Your Seat
- As you march into the seating area, the left column will fill in the left side seats, and the right column will fill in the right side seats. (see Figure #1).
- If the person in front of you does not arrive to march, you do NOT take his or her seat. You will leave the seat open and sit in the seat that was assigned to you.
- Remain standing until you are told to sit down.
- Gentlemen will remove their caps for the National Anthem and Invocation.
Receiving Your Diploma
- The Honorary Marshall will lead the first ROW to the stage to receive diplomas. Commencement Aides will lead each successive row to the stage.
- When s/he arrives at the far right of a row, the ENTIRE row (both left and right seating locations) should RISE AS ONE.
- The ROW will proceed to the right, with those candidates seated in the left seating section CROSSING the center aisle and walking through the right seating section. (see Figure #2).
- When your name is called walk to center stage. Receive your diploma with your left hand, and shake hands using your right hand.
- Move your tassel from the right side of your cap to the left.
- Upon receiving your diploma, walk across the stage to the stairs on the far left. Proceed to the left end of your row.
- Walk through the row back to your seat. Those of you seated in the right seating location will have to CROSS the center aisle.
- Upon reaching your seat, you may sit immediately.
- The stage party and faculty recess first.
- As the last faculty pass the FIRST row, this row (both left and right seating locations) files out in two columns (as they did in the processional).
- The first row is followed by each succeeding row.
- Continue marching until the stage party stops.