In Focus: Ryan Cain '07, Winner, 2007 Jostens Trophy
An award-winning guard who helped transform WPI's men's basketball team into a regional powerhouse. A talented civil and environmental engineering major who completed a project designing affordable manufactured single-family homes for low-income families. A caring volunteer who has made a difference through the Big Brothers Big Sisters Organization of Central Massachusetts.
All of these describe WPI senior Ryan P. Cain, who was chosen from a national pool of finalists to received the 2007 Jostens Trophy, which is awarded to the year's most outstanding male and female Division III basketball student-athletes. Recipients are honored for their basketball ability, academic prowess, and community service.
The Jostens Trophy is a national award established 10 years ago by the Rotary Club of Salem, Va. (site of the Division III Final Four). Cain and Lisa Winkle of Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Mich., who won the women's trophy, received their awards during a luncheon on March 15, 2007, at the Salem Civic Center.
- Learn more about Ryan by watching this five-minute video produced to introduce him to the guests at the Jostens Trophy ceremony (video will start when you click on the link).
- Listen to Chris Bartley, WPI's men's basketball head coach, introduce Ryan Cain at the awards's ceremony (MP3 file).
- Listen to Ryan Cain as he accepts the Jostens Trophy (MP3 file).
- Read the news release announcing his selection as the recipient of the 2007 Jostens Trophy.
- Read more news from WPI's athletics programs.