Leadership Development Institute
Sharpen Your Skills and Maximize Your Potential
Leadership Development Institute (LDI)
This eight-session program gives current and aspiring managers an excellent opportunity to enhance their leadership skills in a wide range of areas. Participants interact with managers from across campus and learn new strategies for meeting key goals. Participants that complete seven of the eight sessions will receive an LDI Certificate of Completion. CEUs are also awarded for participants that complete the program. .35 CEUs are earned for completing each half-day session, and .8 CEUs will be earned for a full-day session.
For the 2014 / 2015 year, we are proud to offer the following sessions:
- Supervising at WPI - This course outlines the housekeeping items of being a Supervisor at WPI, such as the job posting and hiring process, on-boarding your new employee, benefits questions, and budget-related items.
- September 16, 2014, 8:30 AM - Noon
- September 24, 2014, 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
- Avoiding Litigation Landmines - This course will provide practical insight into recognizing possible situations that could lead to costly litigation, an opportunity for group discussions of past litigation issues and possible problems that colleges and universities may encounter, and offer solutions for good managerial practices.
- October 29, 2014, 8:30 AM - Noon
- Understanding Your Leadership Role - This program builds a management perspective and a sound basis for effective leadership. Participants explore the philosophical and emotional changes that accompany the transition from worker to supervisor or manager. The nature of critical relationships with higher level managers, peers, direct reports and people outside your organization is examined and specific action for improving relationships and trust are discussed.
- November 18, 2014, 8:30 AM - Noon
- December 3, 2014, 8:30 AM - Noon
- Time Management - Managing your time, people, and daunting workload can seem overwhelming! Your unending leadership demands can collide with time’s finite nature. How can you accomplish your tasks and responsibilities and still have time to recharge? It’s a huge challenge! This workshop will help you best the time management challenge by learning both time and people management techniques.
- January 28, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- February 10, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- Critical Conversations - Communication is the most powerful tool we have in the workplace. Whether you are preparing for a "hard to have" conversation or discover yourself in the middle of one, you can influence the outcome. Stop walking away from conversations wondering how "it got away" from you. Take charge and responsibility today for the effectiveness of your conversations.
- February 25, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- April 7, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- Managing a Multi-Generational Workplace - The existence of the multi-generational workforce poses unique challenges for today's managers. A lack of understanding regarding generational differences contributes to conflict within working relationships, lowers productivity, and increases turnover. More seasoned staff can become frustrated by a seemingly aloof younger generation. Younger staff can become disenfranchised with entrenched hierarchical structures. Moreover, those who are expected to lead this broad workforce can become frustrated with everyone. A key to thriving within this blended workforce is to raise your awareness about members of the different generations.
- April 21, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- Discovering Emotional Intelligence - Emotional Intelligence matters. Whether you are aware of them or not, emotions are intertwined in everything you think, do, and say each day on the job, in your career and throughout your life. Emotional intelligence (EQ) is how you handle yourself and interact with others in the workplace. People who develop their EQ communicate effectively, handle stress well, make good decisions, handle conflict productively, are better team players, respond flexibly to change, influence others more, and provide top-notch performance.
- March 3, 2015 at 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- April 30, 2015 at 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- Cultural Diversity - This course will cover various topics and theories, such as cultures and sub-cultures, valuing and managing diversity, diversity myths, discrimination and stereotypes.
- January 8, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon
- May 6, 2015, 8:30 AM - Noon