- The supervisor and employee meet to discuss the employee’s performance during the appraisal period and to discuss potential goals for the upcoming appraisal period.
- Schedule the performance meeting in advance, allowing sufficient time to prepare for the meeting. Select a time free of stress for both participants. If possible, hold the meeting in a room that is neutral ground, not in the supervisor’s office where interruptions could occur.
Two-way Discussion of the employee’s performance during the appraisal period is one of the most critical parts of the process. Allow adequate time for this meeting. Recognize that the review process is a high priority and is intended to be a constructive and cooperative process. Its primary emphasis is to foster development and growth. To help create such a tone and setting, consider these suggestions:
- Ask questions and listen. Be open-minded to the information and opinions presented.
- Discuss strengths. This will sustain and reinforce high performance.
- Make suggestions constructive. When you point out a need for growth or change, offer suggestions for improvement.
- Consider each other's point of view. Remember each person will respond differently in a performance meeting.
- Keep comments job-centered. Avoid discussing personality unless it adversely affects job performance or your department’s operation.
- Schedule a follow-up meeting to discuss the final Employee Appraisal form.
After the initial performance meeting, the supervisor/department head constructs their Employee Appraisal form and determines an overall performance rating for each employee. The supervisor/department head then meets with the Vice President to discuss the overall performance of each employee and the completed appraisal forms. Once the Vice President is satisfied that the appraisal is complete and accurate, the form(s) will be signed.
The supervisor then meets with the employee to discuss the final Employee Appraisal form and overall performance rating, finalizes the goals and professional development areas for the upcoming year, and has the employee sign and add any comments. Any comments written by the employee will be initialed by the supervisor and the department head. The employee then receives a copy of the final version. The employee also has the opportunity at this time to attach a copy of their Self-Appraisal form, if they wish, and/or any other materials that support their performance during the appraisal period.
All signed forms will be returned to the Vice President/Division Head, who in turn will forward them to the Human Resources office.