Information, Guidelines & Policies
Animal Use/Welfare Information and Databases
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) - Organization that advocates responsible laboratory animal care and use.
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) - Provides information on euthanasia guidelines.
- Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC) - A part of the USDA that provides information on animal research, including databases for alternative searches.
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) - A nonprofit association that works to promote the responsible treatment of animals in science. This is done through a voluntary accreditation program that sets high standards for humane animal care and use.
- American Physiological Society - Policy statement on animals in research and education.
Federal Laws, Policies, and Guidelines
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) - National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Extramural Research.
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal Care - Establishes acceptable standards of humane animal care and treatment and oversees compliance with the Animal Welfare Act through inspections, education, and cooperative efforts. A branch of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).