Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR)
We have purchased a license for the web-based tax return preparation system called Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR). This program is designed exclusively for international students and scholars and their dependents who are nonresident aliens. The program aids you in completing forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ . It takes about 20 minutes to complete the program and print a tax return. Windstar is written in easy to understand language. You don't have to understand the U.S. tax system; you simply need to answer a few questions about your time spent in the U.S. and any payments you have received. Windstar does the rest by deciding which tax return to file and putting all the right information on the right line.
FNTR cannot be used if you are filing as a Resident Alien for tax purposes.
* Please note that none of the tax filing programs designed for the regular (1040) tax forms (Turbo Tax, H&R Block etc) will work for the 1040NR forms. Even though these tax filing programs seem to work with the information you give it, it is not "asking" you the right questions and will not fill out your tax form correctly as a Non-Resident Alien.
To access FNTR you need a password. You can obtain your password from the International House for a nominal fee of $6.
Helpful Information for Using FNTR
- Documents and information you may need in order to complete your federal and state tax forms.
I-20 or DS-2019
Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
U.S. entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the U.S.
1042-S Form (only if your awarded scholarship exceeds tuition and required fees)
1099 Form (if you have additional bank account interest that you are declaring for tax purposes)
Copy of your most recent federal tax return and Form 8843 (if you filed one last year)
- When filling in your name, please make sure to enter the name as it appears in your passport, not a nickname.
- When completing information about the Director of the Academic Program, simply enter Tom Thomsen and the International House contact information
- When completing the Name of the Academic Institution or School that Sponsored your Current Immigration Status enter:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609
- Generally, your Country of Tax Residence is your Country of Permanent Residence which is NOT the U.S. unless you are a citizen of the U.S. or are a Legal Permanent Resident.
- You do not need a Social Security Number or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) number in order to complete Form 8843.
- When using FNTR, you will need to print out your tax form and mail it to the IRS. The address that you would send it to is:
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
- Make sure to keep a copy of all the documents you mail.
- If you are required to complete a Massachusetts State Tax form, you can also use Windstar to fill out the correct forms. For more information see Massachusetts State Tax.