Review Process Decision Tree: Question 1
Q1: Does your proposed activity involve the use of "Human Subjects"?
1. Will you collect or utilize data:
- Physically gathered from a person?
- By manipulating a person or their environment?
- By communicating with a person (e.g., via verbal or written survey/interview)?
2. Will you collect or utilize privately identifiable information (i.e, the identity of the subject can be readily obtained by the investigator or from the information) from/about a person?
- Medical records/tests (including previously archived test data),
- Information about behavior that occurs in a context in which an individual can reasonably expect that no observation or recording is taking place,
- Any information provided by an individual which was/is reasonably expected to not be made public.
3. Is there an intervention or interaction with a living person that would not be occurring, or would be occurring in some other fashion, but for your activity?
If you answered "No" to every question:
Your activity does not need IRB approval. You need not contact the IRB.
If you answered "Yes" to any question:
Your activity requires action by the IRB. Proceed to Question 2.