Who Should Apply?
M.A.S.T.E.R. is designed for African American, Latino and American Indian high school students. Applicants should excel in math and science and be highly motivated to learn about careers in math science and engineering.
Not sure if you are interested in engineering? Take our quiz to find out your "Engineering Quotient."
- I like to solve problems and be creative. Engineering is all about using science and math to solve problems. They use their skills to make things work better, faster, and less expensively.
- I want to make the world a better place to live. Engineers design wheelchairs, cell phones, infant monitors, artificial organs, computer software and all kinds of innovations that improve our lives.
- I do well in my math and science classes. If you enjoy science and math, you most likely have an aptitude for engineering.
- I like to work as part of a team. Engineers typically work with other engineers or other experts to solve problems in a group setting. Most projects are built around teams of people who work together to find the best solution.
- I want an education that will let me keep my options open. With an engineering background, you can go into management, teaching, research, consulting, business, industry, government or marketing. As an example, the medical school admission rate for students with engineering degrees is in excess of 80%, compared with a national average of 48%.
- I want to combine my interest in science with my interests in music or history. A strong background in science can be combined with interests in other fields, such as humanities and the arts, to make you even more successful in the engineering world.