The mission of the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) is to support and facilitate the efforts of faculty and other Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) staff to obtain external funding for scholarly, research, training, and other related educational programs. It is OSP's responsibility to work toward achieving WPI's goal of increasing the amount of external support while protecting the University's interests and remaining compliant with relevant Federal regulations, sponsor guidelines, and individual award terms and conditions.
Services We Offer
The Office of Sponsored Programs provides assistance to faculty and academic department staff by identifying funding opportunities, reviewing and approving proposals, negotiating awards, and participating in certain key sponsored projects activities. The Director of Sponsored Programs is the primary designated institutional authorized official for purposes of approving proposals and negotiating and accepting awards on behalf of WPI. Specifically, the Office of Sponsored Programs performs the following services for the WPI community:
- Identifying and disseminating funding opportunity information;
- Performing reviews of proposals for compliance with sponsor requirements and University policies;
- Assisting in the creation and/or verifying the accuracy and reasonableness of proposal budgets and budget justifications;
- Undertaking administrative liaison activities with sponsor and collaborating institution points of contact regarding funding, periods of performance, reporting, closeout, and other matters;
- Negotiating agreements on behalf of the University;
- Preparing subawards to be issued to collaborating institutions;
- Coordinating award creation, maintenance, and closeout activities with Research Accounting;
- Conducting faculty and departmental training workshops and other events;
- Providing statistical and other reports for use by University senior administration, department heads, and faculty;
- Coordinating the annual Research Development Council (RDC) Request for Proposal (RFP) process;
- Providing administrative support to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC);
- Representing WPI at meetings and conferences of importance to the WPI community and disseminating information and updates.