The WPI University Police suggests the following safety precautions for faculty, staff and students:
- Utilize the SNAP and Campus Police Safety Escort Service by contacting WPI Police: +1-508-831-5433.
- Be observant of your surroundings, including being aware of others around you.
- Walk in groups if at all possible and stay in well lit areas.
- If you find yourself approached by one or more individuals, do not resist when it comes to giving up your property. Give assailants what they want and let them leave ASAP. Remember cash and personal goods can be replaced.
- Since the WPI campus is surrounded by major traffic thoroughfares, use caution when crossing the street. Always use crosswalks and obey crosswalk signals.
- Exercise caution and discretion when posting personal information (e.g. phone numbers, room number or address) on social networking websites like Facebook. You never know who is viewing your personal information and for what purposes.
- Always lock the doors and take the keys when you leave the car, even if you'll be gone for "just a minute."
- Use the busier, better-lighted stops on public transit, especially if you don't know the area.
- Don't leave valuables in view in the car, lock them in the trunk.
- Carry only credit cards you use on a regular basis. Never carry your social security card, birth certificate, or passport unless necessary.
- Shred all discarded documents, including bank statements, pre-approved credit card offers, insurance forms, and other documents that contain financial information.
- Make note ahead of time of the locations of emergency phones "blue lights" on campus.
Report all crimes to WPI Campus Police as soon as possible at +1-508-831-5555.Maintained by
Last modified: May 16, 2007 11:10:38