Hints to Discourage Academic Dishonesty
Consider implementing the following best practices to minimize or prevent cases of academic dishonesty:
- Put WPI's Academic Honesty Policy in your course syllabus.
- Clearly explain your expectations during the first day of classes, including concrete examples that do and do not constitute cheating in your course.
- Inquire about "best practices" policies from colleagues at WPI and at other institutions.
- Encourage students to come to you if they are confused about citation and documentation practices.
- Talk about academic honesty with your students.
- Require detailed citations, including page numbers.
- Make up variations of the same exam.
- Avoid use of repeated exams, homework sets and research projects.
- Explain your expectations regarding collaboration on homework, computer programs and take-home exams.
- Report cases of academic dishonesty, utilizing WPI's policy and procedures.
- Collect all exams, or rewrite exams each term.