A Look at Academic Honesty at WPI
WPI has collected data for the past 10 years about attitudes and practices associated with academic dishonesty at the undergraduate level at the university. The following is a sampling of data from the most recent survey.
Report of Undergraduate Students
- One third of the students reported that academic dishonesty is a problem at WPI.
- More than half of the students saw another student cheat during an exam.
- A quarter of the students reported feeling indifferent when they witnessed cheating and feel that reporting a friend who is cheating is as bad as, or worse than, cheating.
- Almost half of the students reported that they had worked with one or more students on a homework assignment when not allowed.
- About a tenth of the students turned in a paper, program or assignment written entirely or in part by another student.