Veterans Affairs

Worcester Polytechnic Institute welcomes and supports veterans and their dependents.  It is our goal to assist you and provide the resources necessary for you to complete your education.  Below you will find a summary of veterans education benefits and information on how to apply for them.  If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact our Veterans Affairs Representative, Dan Richard, at or (508) 831-6601.  You also may stop by our office Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm located in the Registar's Office in Daniels Hall.

Veterans Education Benefits

  • Chapter 30: The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) is for individuals who have been on active duty since July 1, 1985, who have contributed $1,200 to an education fund and have completed a qualifying amount of "honorable" active-duty service. 
  • Chapter 32:  The Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) is for individuals who initially entered active duty from January 1, 1977 to June 30, 1985.  The amount of benefits depends on the amount of the service member's contribution while on active duty.
  • Chapter 33:  The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides educational assistance for service members who served active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  To be eligible you must have received an honorable discharge, served at least 90 aggregate days or have been discharged with a service connected disablility after 30 continuous days.
  • Chapter 35:  The Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA) is for the dependent(s) of a member of the Armed Forces who has died while on active duty or as the result of a service-connected disability, or is 100% permanently and totally disabled for a service-related reason.  Dependents receive up to 45 months of full-time benefits and are typically eligible between the ages of 18 and 26, although this may vary.
  • Chapter 1606:  The Montgomery GI Bill - Selective Reserves is for individuals who incurred an initial six-year Select Reserve obligation after June 30, 1985, in the Reserves or National Guard.  In general they must remain in a Select Reserve status during their 14-year period of eligibility.
  • Chapter 1607:  The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) provides educational assistance to members of the reserve components - Selected Reserve and Individual Ready Reserve - who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.  Generally, a member of a reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S.C., for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation is eligible.  The benefit rate varies with the amount of time served on active duty.
  • Chapter 31:  Vocational Rehabilitation is for disabled veterans.  This is the most unique program and each school is assigned a Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist to work with these students, and to assist the School Certifying Official.  These disabled veterans go through a testing process to determine if they are eligible for the benefit.  If eligible, the VA sends an Authorization.  Full tuition, fees, books and supplies and parking are paid by the VA to the school.

Yellow Ribbon Program

This is for veterans or their designated transferees entitled at the 100% benefit level under the Post-9/11 GI Bill and provides additional funding to students whose tuition and fees charge exceeds the in-state, undergraduate cap; or charges in excess of the yearly cap for students enrolled in private institutions.  VA will match each dollar the school contributes up to 50% of the difference between basic tuition and fees amount payable by VA and the tuition and fee amount charged the student.  For more information see WPI Yellow Ribbon Program.

Student Veteran Checklist for Certification

Aside from the necessary steps to apply for admission and financial aid, there are also requirements to apply for your Veterans Education Benefits and to be certified.

Below is a checklist that should be completed to ensure the proper processing of your benefits.

  • Complete the VA Application for Education Benefits.  Applications can be completed online through VONAPP (Veterans On-Line Application).
    • Students who have never received benefits before must file an original application (VA Form 22-1990).
    • Students who have received benefits before must file a Request for Change of Program (VA Form 22-1995).
    • You will need your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty for most recent period of active duty to complete the application.
    • Department of Veterans Affairs processing times vary, but you can expect to receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) within 4-6 weeks.
  • Please submit a copy of your COE and a copy of your Member-4 DD-214 to the Veterans Affairs Representative in the Registrar's Office.
  • Please allow up to 6 weeks for the VA to process your enrollment and for payment to be made.
  • Please contact the VA Representative at WPI anytime you make changes to your enrollment status, including adding or dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades.
  • You may contact Dan Richard at any time with questions or concerns at (508) 831-6601 or

  Please click here for a list of outside scholarships availabe to veterans and their dependents.