Procedures Guide for the Disposal of Hazardous Waste
Proper management of the hazardous waste generated in a lab is not only the right thing to do: it's also the law. This waste is regulated at the federal (EPA) and state (DEP) level. Here are a few of the most important issues of managing hazardous waste in a laboratory.
All Hazardous waste containers must:
- Be secure and in good condition
- Be compatible with waste.
- Have a screw cap - no corks or rubber stoppers.
- Be kept closed at all times unless waste is being added.
- Symbols and formulas are not allowed. The chemical names must be written out.
- Check-off the appropriate hazard box
- Enter the date only when the container is full or when the container is ready for pick-up.
* Do not transport hazardous waste from your lab
* Contact the Safety Office at x5216 or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, to arrange to have your waste picked up. Or, if you have any questions about the proper management of hazardous waste in the laboratory.