- Recognized student organizations may advertise events of campus-wide interest with chalk on outside areas only; specifically sidewalks and the Quad brick walkway.
- Campus-wide events include any event open to all students as well as fraternity and sorority events.
- Each organization is responsible for removing the chalk within one week after the event takes place (if weather has not removed the chalk).
- All chalk used must be washable "sidewalk" chalk, rather than classroom board chalk.
No Chalking Areas
Specific areas are designated as No Chalking Areas. They are:
- Any vertical surfaces, such as the side of buildings and light poles
- Trash cans
- The seal on the Quad
- Any sitting area (wood or brick)
Groups will be charged for cleaning if:
- Chalking occurs on in any prohibited areas
- Advertising for something other than a campus-wide event occurs
- The chalk is not removed within one week after event occurs
The minimum charge for any cleaning will be $35 for each separate location.
These Chalking Guidelines were created as a result of students' discontent with excessive chalking and the detrimental effect it had on the appearance of the campus.