Community Service Awards
Edwin Coghlin ’23 Award for Community Service
The Edwin B. Coghlin ’23 Award for Community Service is presented annually by WPI to recognize an individual or individuals who, through their involvement in community service activities, has made valuable contributions to WPI and the Worcester community.
About Edwin Coghlin
The award is presented in memory of Edwin B. “Ted” Coghlin ’23, who, at the time of his death in 1981, was the third of five Coghlins spanning four generations to attend WPI. Throughout his life, Ted distinguished himself through tireless involvement in activities that benefited both WPI and the Worcester community at large. Ted was an inspiring leader to those around him. He cared deeply about people, a trait that characterized his work with such organizations as the United Way, Worcester Area Boy Scouts, Worcester Boys Club, and the WPI Alumni Association.
The Edwin B. Coghlin ’23 Award for Community Service seeks to recognize WPI students who have stepped forward as community leaders and who have done so with a sense of determination and purposefulness that has resulted in particular successes benefiting individuals, groups, or society in general.
The award(s), which carries with it a stipend for the organization(s) with which the student has been involved, shall be granted to students demonstrating an extraordinary personal commitment to community service work at WPI or in the Worcester area.
Complete the Edwin B. Coghlin ’23 Award for Community Service nomination form.
Nominees must be enrolled WPI students with:
- Good academic standing
- Exceptional and sustained involvement in community service activities and/or volunteerism
- Evidence of service to the campus
- Positive attitude about and promotion of WPI
- Every student nominated will be considered during the selection process.
- Nominations may come from any member of the WPI community or any member of the Worcester community.
- All nominees will be informed that they have been selected to receive the Edwin B. Coghlin ’23 Award for Community Service.
- Students who meet the criteria may be selected more than once during their WPI career.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org