Edwin B. Coghlin '23 Award for Community Service
Presented in Memory of Edwin B. Coghlin Class of '23
The Edwin B. Coghlin '23 Award for Community Service is presented annually by Worcester Polytechnic Institute to recognize an individual or individuals who, through their involvement in community service activities, has made valuable contributions to WPI and the Worcester community during the college year.
The award is presented in memory of Edwin B. Coghlin '23, who, at the time of his death in 1981, was the third of five Coghlins spanning four generations to attend WPI. Throughout his life, Ted distinguished himself through tireless involvement in activities that benefited both WPI and the Worcester community at large. Ted was an inspiring leader to those around him. He cared deeply about people, a trait that characterized his work with such organizations as the United Way, Worcester Area Boy Scouts, Worcester Boys Club and the WPI Alumni Association.
The Edwin B. Coghlin '23 Award for Community Service seeks to recognize WPI students who have stepped forward as community leaders and who have done so with a sense of determination and purposefulness that has resulted in particular successes benefiting individuals, groups or society in general. The award(s), which carries with it a stipend for the organizations(s) with which the student has been involved, shall be granted to students demonstrating an extraordinary personal commitment to community service work at WPI or in the Worcester area.
The applications are available online. For more information please contact email@example.com.
Download the application here: Coghlin Award
Note: You must first be logged into TechSync to access the form.
Why do we give out this special Edwin B. Coghlin '23 Award for Community Service?
- To recognize involvement in community service activities, though valuable contributions to WPI and the Worcester community during the college year;
- To foster a sense of community;
- To publicly recognize student contributions and involvement;
- To inspire our student leaders;
- Validate, both publicly and privately, co-curricular and community service involvement.
Criteria for Nomination
- Good academic standing;
- Exceptional and sustained involvement in community service activities and/or volunteerism;
- Evidence of service to the campus;
- Positive attitude about and promotion of WPI;
- Any enrolled student is eligible.
- Individuals who meet criteria are nominated;
- Nominator to complete information sheet about student;
- Nominator should make sure their nominee is in good academic standing;
- Every student nominated will be considered during the selection process;
- Nominations may come from any member of the WPI community: Faculty, staff, students and any member of the Worcester community;
- All nominees will be informed that they have been selected to receive the Edwin B. Coghlin '23 Award for Community Service;
- Students who meet the criteria may be selected more than once during their WPI career.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.