Academic Planning Committee
- Purpose: The purpose of the Academic Planning Committee is to provide oversight of all matters relating to the undergraduate and graduate educational programs and all research programs. Committee members shall seek the commitment of faculty and administrators in ensuring that academic priorities are unambiguously stated, appropriately funded, and consistent with the overall educational mission of the Institute.
- Review of charter. This charter shall be reviewed and reassessed by the Academic Planning Committee at least annually, and any proposed changes shall be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Membership/Structure/Quorum. The Academic Planning Committee shall consist of five or more members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Academic Planning Committee shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Board and the President shall be members ex officio of the Academic Planning Committee. Faculty and/or students may be appointed to the Committee at the Executive Committee’s discretion but are not voting members. A quorum of any meeting of the Academic Planning Committee shall consist of a majority of its voting members.
- Staff designee. The Chief Academic Office, or Provost, and his/her designee shall be staff to the Committee.
- Meetings. Meetings shall be held in conjunction with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board, or as deemed necessary by the Chair of the Committee.
- Agenda, minutes and reports. The Chair of the Committee, in collaboration with the staff designee, shall be responsible for establishing the agendas for meetings of the Committee. An agenda, together with relevant materials, shall be sent to the Committee members in advance of each meeting. Minutes for all meetings shall be prepared in draft form by the staff designee and reviewed by the Chair, and shall be approved by the Committee members at the following meeting. The minutes shall be distributed periodically to the full Board of Trustees. The Committee shall make regular reports to the Board of Trustees.
Authority and responsibilities: The Committee’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Monitor the academic and research programs for consistency with the Institute’s mission and strategies and for match with the demographic trends in enrollments, and recommend how they can be modified and/or strengthened;
- Ensure that the academic budget reflects the Institute’s priorities. To support this effort, the Budget and Finance Committee and the Academic Planning Committee shall each appoint a member to serve as a liaison to the other committee;
- Determine that faculty personnel policies, including criteria and standards for tenure and promotion, are clearly articulated, accessible to faculty members, and applied systematically and equitably across the Institute;
- Approve faculty candidates for appointment with, or promotion to, tenure status;
- Monitor the Institute’s assessment of the effectiveness of all of its academic programs, at both the departmental and program level, whether or not an external evaluation is required for professional accreditation purposes; and
- Conduct an annual self-evaluation of the performance of the Committee, and the effectiveness and compliance with this charter.
Approved by the Academic Planning Committee May 18, 2007
Approved by the Board of Trustees May 18, 2007