Facilities & Campus Infrastructure Committee
- Purpose: The purpose of the Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee is to broadly oversee the Institute’s physical assets: its land, buildings, equipment, and technology infrastructure. More specifically, to maintain the adequacy and condition of capital assets, to develop and periodically review policies, to advocate for new structures and rehabilitate or remove older structures, and to ascertain that adequate levels of funding exist for plant maintenance and operations, and technology infrastructure.
- Review of charter. This charter shall be reviewed and reassessed by the Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee at least annually, and any proposed changes shall be submitted to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Membership/structure/quorum. The Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee shall consist of five or more members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board. The Chair of the Board and the President shall be members ex officio of the Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee. Committee membership shall include several members with expertise in architecture, engineering, contracting, real estate management, and technology infrastructure. A quorum of any meeting of the Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee shall consist of a majority of its voting members.
- Staff designee. The Vice President for Finance and Operations and the Assistant Vice President for Facilities shall be staff to the Committee.
- Meetings. Meetings shall be held in conjunction with regularly scheduled meetings of the Board, or as deemed necessary by the Chair of the Committee.
- Agenda, minutes and reports. The Chair of the Committee, in collaboration with the staff designee, shall be responsible for establishing the agendas for meetings of the Committee. An agenda, together with relevant materials, shall be sent to the Committee members in advance of each meeting. Minutes for all meetings shall be prepared in draft form by the staff designee and reviewed by the Chair, and shall be approved by the Committee members at the following meeting. The minutes shall be distributed periodically to the full Board of Trustees. The Committee shall make regular reports to the Board of Trustees.
Authority and responsibilities: The Committee’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Determine the adequacy, condition, and use of existing facilities and technology infrastructure. This shall be accomplished through regular reviews of facility’s condition audits, renewal and replacement assessments, and benchmarking information. The Committee shall also evaluate the Institute’s use of space, and the appropriateness of that space to its mission;
- Review projections of future facility and technology infrastructure needs and requirements including capital programs and deferred maintenance;
- Review the annual operating budget for adequate and appropriate funding levels for plant operations, maintenance of the physical facilities at an expected and acceptable condition with an understood degree of deferred maintenance, and technology infrastructure;
- Review the proposed annual capital budget and recommend its approval to the Budget and Finance Committee;
- In conjunction with other committees, develop and maintain a long range physical planning and technology infrastructure policy or master plan for the Institute;
- Review and approve the operating impact, financial plan, and total cost projection for all capital projects that are in excess of $500,000 and when appropriate, coordinate such review with the Technology Committee;
- The Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee and the Budget and Finance Committee shall each appoint a member to serve as liaison to the other committee to ascertain that the annual operating and capital budgets are integrated;
- Approve architect selection, project citing, bidding methods, and general program planning for all capital projects in excess of $500,000;
- Communicate with and educate the Board on the Institute’s physical assets and their condition;
- Work with staff designee to ascertain that internal reporting practices meet the committee’s needs and expectations; and
- Conduct an annual self-evaluation of the performance of the Committee, and the effectiveness and compliance with this charter.
Approved by the Facilities and Campus Infrastructure Committee May 18, 2007
Approved by the Board of Trustees May 18, 2007