Healthcare Delivery Institute
Creating the Future of Healthcare Delivery
The Healthcare Delivery Institute (HDI) at WPI is a university-wide, multi-disciplinary (engineering science, business) research and education institute that uses Worcester and surrounding communities as its laboratory and classroom to help industry, healthcare provider, academic, and government partners collaboratively develop new ways to deliver quality care to keep people healthy, while lowering costs.
Affiliated with the University of Massachusetts Medical School, HDI continues to evolve towards becoming a national hub for creating innovative healthcare solutions, in a living laboratory – a central place where WPI and its partners come together to co-create, realize, and demonstrate real-world solutions.
The outcomes lead to new products, tools, and processes. Through WPI’s practical healthcare research, project-based education, and degree and professional education programs, new expertise and experts are developed to address the global challenge of healthcare delivery.
Major Areas of Research Expertise Include
- healthcare systems engineering and modeling
- healthcare informatics and data analytics
- digital health (mobile/wireless health; telehealth; healthcare IT)
- robotics in healthcare (surgical, rehabilitative, and assistive)
- medical devices (biomedical engineering and medical technology)
- disease management
The unique aspect of this collaborative Institute is its holistic approach to innovation. The faculty and students always think about the marketability, implementation, profitability, and life cycle of any concept, product, or process. This approach is highly valuable to us at Xerox.Denise Fletcher
Vice President & Chief Innovation Officer, Healthcare Payer & Pharma, Xerox
- "Sugar," a WPI-Built Diabetes App, Enters Clinical Testing Early data shows promise for the app’s ability to assess the status of chronic foot ulcers in patients with advanced diabetes. >
- Please join us in congratulating newly elected AAAS Fellow Pamela Weathers!
- WPI Gets $125K Award To Make Robots To Help The Elderly Worcester Polytechnic Institute professor has received a five-year, $125,000 million award from the National Institutes of Health. Learn more... >
- Machines Made To Know You, By Touch, Voice, Even By Heart How does a machine verify the identity of a human being? Irises, heartbeats, fingertips and voices, for starters. Learn more... >
- WPI Gets $3M Grant To Test Robotic Brain Tumor Treatment A team of researchers led by a Worcester Polytechnic Institute professor has received a five-year, $3 million award from the National Institutes of Health to test a minimally invasive way of treating brain tumors. Learn more... >