What is Camtasia Studio?
Camtasia Studio is a video-based screen capturing software program. It is analogous to using a video camera to record your screen. However, unlike using a video camera, the software is installed on your computer, so your screen captures are directly recorded to a digital video format with higher quality audio. Camtasia can also be customized to capture the entire screen, a specific window, or user-defined region. Screen capture videos can be recorded with or without voice narration, and can be annotated after recording.
Camtasia Studio Recorder
What is Camtasia Used for?
Camtasia was originally designed for creating software tutorials, but has other powerful applications. Common uses of Camtasia are:
- Software tutorials for discipline-specific or lab software
- Explanation of a process displayed in discipline-specific software
- Web site tours
- Narrated PowerPoint presentations
- Narrated explanation of lecture notes, homework solutions or other materials
- Video and audio podcast production
Camtasia Studio is available for both the PC and the Mac. To use Camtasia, you will need a PC/Mac that meets the following requirements (click on your operating system below for details), along with a microphone. The headset style microphones work best as they pick up more of your voice and less background noise. Headsets for Camtasia can be purchased for a small fee in the ATC, or from major retailers.
Windows Authoring Requirements:
- Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Microsoft DirectX 9 or later
- 1.0 GHz processor (3.0 GHz Strongly recommended for PowerPoint and camera recordings)
- 500 MB RAM (2 GB recommended)
- Windows-compatible sound card, microphone and speakers or headphones
- 115 MB of hard-disk space for program installation
- Camtasia Studio Add-in for PowerPoint requires Office 2000 or later
- Apple iPod/iPod Touch/iPhone production formats require Apple QuickTime 7.2 or later
- USB webcams are required for video recording
Mac Authoring Requirements:
- OSX 10.5.6 (Leopard) or later
- Intel processor (dual core 2.0GHz or faster recommended)
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
- Quartz Extreme support
- 4 GB of hard-disk space available for recording
- Apple QuickTime 7.5.5 or later
Playback requirements vary based on the output format. Camtasia videos at WPI are typically converted to Windows Media Player and linked from the streaming server. These videos require Windows Media Player version 9.0 or higher or Flip4Mac.
WPI has a campus-wide license for Camtasia Studio for WPI-owned PC's.
For users of WPI owned Macs please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Mac licensing.Maintained by email@example.com
Last modified: Jun 28, 2012, 18:32 EDT