Sony DCR-SR300 Handycam Hard Drive Camcorder Instructions
These instructions apply to the Sony Handycam Hard Disk Drive camcorders that are available for checkout from the ATC.
NoteYou may need to download and install audio drivers on your computer prior to retrieving media from the camera. WPI users can retrieve them by mapping to \\shares.wpi.edu\installpoint\Applications\WindowsMediaEncoder and installing ac3filter_1_11.exe. For assistance on mapping a network drive, visit: https://www.wpi.edu/Academics/CCC/Help/Network/Mapping/.
Inserting the Battery
The Handy Cam uses a NP-FH60 battery. To insert the battery:
- Make sure the arrow is facing up.
- Align the battery grooves with the grooves in the camcorder.
- Push the battery up to lock it into place.
To remove the battery, press the release on the bottom of the camcorder. Push in the direction the arrow indicates to release the battery.
No tape is required for this camcorder. The hard drive is built into the camcorder and will automatically record and save your media.
- The display is located on the left of the camcorder. Pull open the display to view it.
- Power the camcorder on by pushing the green button and rotating the button clockwise.
- To turn the camcorder off, rotate the button counter-clockwise.
- The green light to the right of the button indicates whether the camcorder is in movie mode or photo mode.
- The shiny, silver button furthest to the right allows you to record and pause your video when in movie mode.
- Directly above the power button is the photo button, which allows you to take still images when in photo mode.
You can put the camcorder in Easy Mode for simple filming or photos.
- Press the Easy button on the left of the camcorder (not on the display). If the camcorder is in easy mode, a cyan-blue colored box with the work EASY appears on the left side of the display screen.
Touch Screen Internal Setup
- Press the Home button to enter the menu. The Home button displays a house in a blue-colored box. The bottom of the display gives you five options: Camera, View Images, Others, Manage HDD/Memory, and Settings.
The external display by the Power button also displays the mode you are in, determined by the location of the green light.
- Select MOVIE to put the camcorder in movie mode.
- Select PHOTO to put the camcorder in photo mode.
VISUAL INDEX allows you to view videos and photos.
- Use the arrows to navigate through the pictures and videos.
- Select the video or picture you want to view. The video will automatically play. You can play, fast forward, rewind, or jump to the next video or picture.
- Check off the videos you want to delete.
- Keep you finger on the videos to view them first. They will automatically play.
- Press Video again to uncheck them if you decide not to delete them.
- Press OK.
- Confirm to delete YES/NO.
- Make sure the memory card is inserted in the camcorder. Pictures must be saved on the card and not on the drive.
- To change the recording media of still images, touch the Option key on the main menu (lower right corner, contains a plus sign and three horizontal lines).
- Press the fourth option that looks like a suitcase in the lower right corner.
- Press the STILL MEDIA option to choose HDD or MEMORY STICK.
- Formatting will completely reset the hard disk or card and delete all of your clips and photos. Do not format unless you have backed up all your files to a computer or CD, or all media will be lost from the hard drive.
- Photo Settings
- Image Size
- 6.1 M (best) - (2848 x 2136 pixels)
- 3.1 M - (2048 x 1536 pixels)
- 0.3 M VGA - (2048 x 1536 pixels)
- Still Media
- Sound Settings
- Clock Language
Additional Options - Non-Easy Mode
- Press the Easy button located on the left of the camcorder (not on the display). If the camcorder is successfully taken out of easy mode, the cyan-blue colored box with the word EASY disappears from the left side of the display screen.
- SMITH SLW REC (slow record mode)
- Slow record mode is used for taking three to four seconds of fast action video, such as a golf swing. While in this mode, you must not press Record until the action happens. The camcorder will say that it is buffering when you are filming.
- After you have shot your clip, the camcorder says it is recording. When it is done recording, you can press Record again as many times as needed.
- PLAYLIST - Allows you to create separate bins for clips. For example, if there are clips that you like more than others, you can group them here.
- In the lower left corner of the screen, press the Add button, which will display every clip you recorded.
- Choose the clips you want to put in a playlist together and press Add.
- Press OK to return to the playlist with your selected clips.
- Press the Play button on the first clip to view the selected clips in order.
- EDIT - DIVIDE - The edit feature allows you to divide a clip into two clips.
- Select the clip you want to divide. The clip will begin to play.
- Using the Rewind and Fast Forward buttons, choose the frame where you want to divide the clip.
- When you have selected the correct point in the clip, press OK.
- When asked Divide?, choose YES or NO. The screen will say Executing... completed.
- Press OK.
- PLAYLIST EDIT - the playlist edit feature allows you to erase, erase all, and move clips.
- Choose the clip you want to erase. You can press and hold a clip to preview it before you erase it.
- When the clip you want to erase is checked off, press OK.
- When asked Erase?, select YES or NO. The screen will say Executing... completed.
- ERASE ALL
- When asked Erase?, select YES or NO.
- Press OK.
- MOVE - allows you to rearrange clips into a different order.
- Check off the clip you want to move.
- Use the arrows to move the red vertical line to the desired point between other clips.
- Press OK.
- When asked Move?, select YES or NO. The screen will say Executing... completed.
- Press OK.
- PRINT - if you have a PictBridge compatible printer
- Choose to print images from the disk or card.
- Select the image you want to print.
- Press the Add button in the lower right corner of the screen to choose the number of copies you want to print.
- Use the - and + symbols to add or subtract copies.
- Press Return in the upper left corner.
- Press EXEC in the lower left corner to print.
- COMPUTER - to transfer files to your computer
- Attach the camcorder to the base station by lining up the connections on the bottom of the camcorder with the connections on the base station.
- Plug in the USB cable from the base station to the computer.
- Plug in the power cord from the base station to a power outlet.
- Choose to transfer files from the disk or the card. The camcorder will display Preparing... connecting... do not unplug the USB cable... do not turn off the power.
- A window may appear on your computer asking what you want to do with the files. If so, choose the option Open folder to view files. Images are in the DCIM folder. Video clips are in the MP_ROOT folder.
- DISK BURN - to transfer files to your computer.
- MOVIE SETTINGS
- Record Mode
- HQ (high quality) 9M
- SP (standard play - recommended) 6M
- LP (low play quality, but gives you more space) 3M
- NIGHTSHOT LIGHT - turns infrared light on in NIGHTSHOT mode
- DIGITAL ZOOM - sets zoom function using digital processing
- OFF (optical zoom only is on) / 20X (magnification in digital zoom field)
- STEADYSHOT - compensates for camera shake in recording
- AUTO SLOW SHUTTER - for taking bright pictures in dark surroundings
- GUIDEFRAME - for displaying vertical/horizontal guide frame
- ZEBRA - for displaying stripes to adjust brightness
- 70 - stripes appear in area with 70 IRE brightness
- 100 - stripes appear in area with 100 IRE brightness
- REMAINING - movie capacity
- AUTO - briefly displays remaining movie capacity
- ON - constantly displays remaining movie capacity
- FLASH LEVEL
- HIGH - increases the flash brightness
- NORMAL - sets the flash brightness to normal level
- LOW - reduces the flash brightness
- REDEYE REDUCER - reduces redeye in flash pictures
Last modified: Jan 29, 2010, 09:56 EST